Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Day PEGASUS Came To Earth.....

1973 Belmont Stakes... The great (perhaps greatest in history) racehorse Secretariat made a historic run winning by the greatest distance and time that still stands today. I only watch three races a year (the Triple Crown Series) and don't follow horse racing regularly. But, this performance was breathtaking and something that may never been seen again. I always get an "uplift" when watching it. The call of the race is amazing and brings me to tears. I'm dedicating this post to the memories of the beloved racehorses we have lost over the years.



Credit: burlm47..Thank You.

3 comments:

Roisin Dubh said...

Brilliant horse so elegant. I'm Irish and live across the rosd from a stud farm. Every morning I look out my window and see these amazing animals so regal and elegant.

The most famous Irish horse was called shergar. He was kidnapped by the IRA (a nationalistic terrorist organisation)and held for ransom. They allegedly killed the poor horse.

~GINA~ said...

Thank You for commenting Cleo! How lucky you are to live in Ireland and across from a stud farm at that! They are the most noble of creatures.. Amazing.

I remember the story of Shergar and he was one of the horses I thought of in my dedication. I wanted to name them all, but there are so many. I've seen a few videos of his races. He was a beautiful horse! Thank you again for stopping by and commenting!

I enjoy your blog as well.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Awesome Gina!

That was uplifting! You cannot watch that footage without a smile. I know of Secretariat but I had NO IDEA the lead was that huge! Beautiful!