Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's a wrap - Memories from BEIJING 2008


I didn't think I'd spend 4 blogs on the same subject but ..here goes. Beijing 2008 wasn't free of controversy or it's ups and downs. But.. I don't think I've ever seen a country or a people so proud to present the Olympic Games. Not that all of the other host cities/nations haven't been proud, but the history of China with it's past closed from the world doors, just made this one special.

Some of my favorite memories were... of course..Michael Phelps and his 8 Gold medal wins (two of which were so close!). US winning both Golds in Basketball... Kudo's to men's coach Mike Krzyzewski! ( Go Blue Devils! ), US in both men's and women's Beach Volley Ball, US Diver Laura Wilkinson's constant smile as she knew it was her last competition, Australian diver Matthew Helms Gold that stopped China from sweeping the diving medals, Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin's gymnastic performances, Usain Bolt lighting up the track, and most of all.. 41 year old Dara Torres of the US showing the young ones what championship swimming looks like!

The opening and closing ceremonies were so beautiful and the countless volunteers and children really warmed my heart! Like I said in my earlier blog..Vancouver and London have their work cut out for them. I look forward to seeing many of the athletes returning and have been privileged to see the ones who gave us their final bows. In summary.. Thank You Beijing.



4 comments:

Nell said...

Just a random big *hug* for you. You write really well :-D

~GINA~ said...

*HUG* to You too! Thank you so much. You're one of the best writers I know, so it means alot coming from You!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

I second what Typo says!!

I want more Gina. *arms crossed, foot tapping impatiently*

~GINA~ said...

Thank You Akilah! And Nell again!
I actually have something in mind that I may work on this weekend. LOL